LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) provides third-party verification of green buildings. Participation in the process demonstrates leadership, innovation, environmental stewardship and social responsibility. LEED guidelines provide building owners and operators the tools they need to impact their building’s performance and bottom line, while providing healthy indoor spaces for a building’s occupants.
North Gate’s Tasting Room is LEED Gold certified. Our green features include:
- Our solar array. We are 100% solar powered and actually sell our excess electricity back to the grid. Our solar panel monitor is on display for the energy curious.
- Local, reclaimed, recycled, and sustainable decor, including our reclaimed wood tables, bar, and mantle; our bar top made with recycled beer bottles; bamboo flooring; and our fireplace made with stone from the Shenandoah vein.
- Low VOC building materials, including paints, sealants, and adhesives.
- Plenty of natural daylight to increase worker and patron happiness and decrease energy use.
- Sustainable, non-toxic cleaning supplies.
- Sustainable landscaping using native plants, designed by the Loudoun Master Gardeners.
Virginia Green is a partnership between the Virginia Tourism Corporation, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, and the Virginia Hospitality & Travel Association. Virginia Green participants must have programs in place which address recycling, waste reduction, and energy and water conservation. Virginia Green participants go through an application approval process and are then self-certify that they are continuing their sustainable practices. North Gate has been participating in the Virginia Green program since 2012.
Loudoun Green Business Challenge
The Green Business Challenge gives businesses the opportunity to demonstrate leadership and create sustainable communities while improving their bottom line . Hosted by The Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce, The Green Business Challenge encourages county businesses to adopt environmentally sound business practices. It is an annual point-based competition and certification.
North Gate won the Platinum Award in 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011, and the Silver Award in 2010.